The latest posts tagged with googleMonday — August 15, 2011
And here’s where I make my predictions as to what that will mean down the road:
- Google+Moto just became a direct head-to-head competitor with Samsung, HTC, Sony Ericcson and every other Android-based phone manufacturer out there. Those “partners” will be out in the cold very soon as they cannot compete with Moto and the inside track it will have on future Android
- Samsung is alone in the deepest, darkest hurt locker. They’ve severely damaged their working relationship with Apple, are seeing injunctions and lawsuits at every turn around the world, and their best buddy Google just moved into their house, kicked the dog, and raided the fridge.
- Google has joined the ranks of the full ecosystem manufacturers, led by Apple and poorly mimicked by RIM (and QNX), HP (and WebOS), Nokia (with Microsoft). It’s the only way to fly, but your execution has to be pitch perfect, something which Google and Moto are both notorious about failing.
- The Open Handset Alliance will dissolve or change radically in some way. Android’s positioning as “open” will continue to degrade further down the road of inanity.
- Moto’s patent portfolio will not have a substantial bearing on most of the ongoing litigation today… certainly not with Apple’s countersuit against Moto and likely not much elsewhere.
The real cost of using Android seems to be on a upward parabolic curve. With news today that most Android vendors have lost their Linux distribution rights, Android is hardly “free” for anyone. We already know that Microsoft makes more money off the royalties it collects from Android manufacturers than it does from Windows Phone 7 (admittedly, not a hard thing to do).
All in all, this might just be the smartest thing Google could’ve done after the weird number bidding debacle they committed when trying to purchase Nortel’s patent portfolio earlier this year. It secures for them the ability to build the complete Android handset and tablet infrastructure end-to-end without the need to partner and accommodate competing outside influences. But it’s gonna piss off a whole lot of folks along the way.
As always, do no evil (unless it gets you what you want).
There’s nothing for me to do with it, except invite people to join me in doing nothing. Who’s in?